Sunday, July 6, 2014

Meet Our Board: Daniel Omachonu, Events Partner

Name, Hometown, Major:
Daniel Omachonu
Miami, FL
Political Science

Current and Previous Roles on the Pre-Law Society Board:
I was a General Body member in the 2012-2013 academic year. I remember attending events like the Judge panel and the LSAT information session. I quickly realized the value and potential influence of this group and I wanted to be a part of it. This year, I applied to the board for the position of Events Partner. I hope to help develop inspiring events that help people understand and grow to love the field of law

What are some of your "career highlights" and/or professional goals?
As an elementary school student, I remember struggling to decide what I would write on a wooden chest for a future goals assignment. On one side, I wrote first black president of the United States. There goes that. On the other side, I wrote criminal defense attorney. I have had interest in both law and politics since I was in the fourth grade. I acted out my interest in politics in my involvement in student government. One of my highlights in this realm came when I acted as the student body president of my high school during my senior year. I learned important lessons of leadership through that experience. Last summer, I had the pleasure of shadow-interning a Judge in the 11th Circuit in Miami, FL as well as interning in the Office of the Mayor of Miami-Dade County. This summer, I have been blessed with the opportunity to work as an intern at Gershburg Law P.C. As a small law firm started by one young attorney named Daniel Gershburg, the firm and this experience reflects one of my professional goals which is to one day start my own law firm in the New York City or Washington D.C. area.

Do you have any advice for other Pre-Law students at Columbia?
For students who know that they are pre-law at Columbia, I would say to learn as much information as you can on your own time pertaining tolaw. Columbia does not offer an official pre-law major but there are so many courses that take you through a slew of court cases as well as other legal material. I would also recommend seeking out mentors who are in law school or who are practicing attorneys because they can relate to you as they are farther along the path you wish to take. Lastly, I would say the obvious, which is to come to any and all events promoted by the Pre-Law society at Columbia University.

What's a fun fact about you?
I am from Miami but the Miami Heat are my second favorite basketball team. The Lakers are first.