Sunday, July 6, 2014

Meet Our Board: Megan Kincaid, Secretary | Academic Affairs Chair

Name, Hometown, Major:
Megan Kincaid
Los Angeles, CA
Political Science

Current and Previous Roles on the Pre-Law Society Board:
I joined the Pre-Law General Body in the spring of my Freshman year. After getting to know fellow classmates involved in the Pre-Law Society, I decided that I would apply for positions on the Board in the spring of 2014. I am now the Secretary. My responsibilities range from organizing meeting minutes and making materials accessible to other members to sending out Listserv emails to the general body to keep them in the loop. I am also the Academic Affairs Chair and look forward to providing academic related services to the members of the Pre-Law Society. I hope to engage a large number of law minded students in building a Pre-Law community on the Columbia campus!

What are some of your “career highlights” and/or professional goals?
As a rising sophomore, I have yet to declare my major but plan on being a Political Science major. This summer I will be working at Columbia University with the Summer Sessions Office, creating a safe and fun community for students enrolled in the session. I hope to TA a Constitutional Law course as part of my responsibilities with the program. During high school, I shadowed a Los Angeles Public Defender over summer breaks. It was incredibly rewarding to be immersed in a courtroom experience and help the PD with file organization and research. I was fortunate enough to attend some private sessions with clients and family members. In the future, I hope to intern in a corporate law setting to get experience in another area of the law.

Do you have any advice for other Pre-Law students at Columbia?
Always feel free to contact upperclassmen with your same major or career goals for advice. We love to give support to incoming students and hope that our advice helps in some way. I’d also say that joining networks for Pre-Law students is really important since we aren’t necessarily taking the same classes.

What’s a fun fact about you?
The first time I visited the Columbia campus, all I did was peep inside John Jay, which would turn out to be my freshman dorm. I didn't even realize it until a déjà-vu moment on move-in day!