Monday, July 7, 2014

Meet Our Board: Ben Eversole, Academic Affairs Partner

Name, Hometown, Major:
Ben Eversole
Castro Valley, CA
Political Science Business Management

Current and Previous Roles on the Pre-Law Society Board:
In my first year on the board of the Columbia Pre-Law Society, I am serving as a partner on the Academic Affairs committee.  I work to connect students to law professors, alumni, and LSAT prep companies. 

What are some of your "career highlights" and/or professional goals?
In the summer of 2012, I worked on Jennifer Ong’s campaign for state assembly in California, then studied German in Berlin for one month.  My experience with law includes working in the offices of James J. Phillips on trust and probate law.  This past summer I worked in the local offices of Congressman Eric Swalwell (D- Calif.).  After law school, I hope to work in government and advocate progressive policies. 

Do you have any advice for other Pre-Law students at Columbia?
Get involved early!  I wish I had attended more Pre-Law events in my first two years at Columbia.  Even if you are not sure whether you want to attend law school, the events are interesting and could help you determine whether law school is right for you.  I strongly recommend taking President Bollinger’s Free Press and Speech class to get a feel for a law school course, an understanding of the First Amendment, and a chance to get to know the University’s president!

What's a fun fact about you?
As a Boy Scout growing up, I led a twelve day backpacking trek at Philmont Scout Ranch in the New Mexico mountains.  While there, we got to build and shoot our own .30-06 ammunition.