Thursday, July 10, 2014

Meet Our Board: Korey Petgrave, Events Chair

Name, Hometown, Major:
Korey Petgrave
Newark, NJ
Mechanical Engineering
L
Current and Previous Roles on the Pre-Law Society Board:
As a first year, I was selected to be the Academic Affairs Coordinator.  In this position, I had the responsibilities of coordinating LSAT prep sessions and inviting distinguished speakers to our meetings.  Now, as a sophomore, I am proud to be serving as the Society’s Events Chair where my main responsibilities will be to organize and plan all events we will hold this upcoming academic year.

What are some of your “career highlights” and/or professional goals?
The area of law that interests me most is intellectual property.  Whether you are texting on your new Samsung S5 or searching Google on your Apple MacBook, you are interacting with products protected by patents and copyright laws.  Intellectual Property law offers me the perfect outlet to combine my interest for law and technology into one, and I hope to someday work as an Intellectual Property Attorney.

Do you have any advice for other Pre-Law students at Columbia?
Get involved with the Columbia Pre-Law Society and take advantage of having Columbia Law School across the street.

What’s a fun fact about yourself?
My favorite thing for breakfast is a Jamaican dish known as ackee and saltfish with breadfruit (if you’ve never heard of it, look it up; if you have, make me a plate!)